Our performance in providing students with an increasing number of opportunities to learn firsthand from leading executives in a range of industries and management fields.
Learning from business leaders
- Lina Arsenault, director of communications and digital marketing at Cisco Canada, spent two days at our school in January 2011. She met with fourth-year marketing and MBA students to explore how her company uses the Web and social media to create powerful brand awareness across the country.
- A number of Telfer MBA students, led by Joel Kom, organized a series of luncheon lectures called Manager of the Month. This new event makes it possible for students to meet with and hear directly from successful executives. The executives who shared notable experiences and helpful lessons from their careers were: Lynda Partner, chief executive officer of Partners Inc.; Roger Greenberg, chairman and chief executive officer of The Minto Group; and Jim Judd, former head of Canada's intelligence agency and former deputy minister of the Department of National Defence.
Six Telfer MHA Bear Pit Sessions put healthcare leaders in the hot seat, and gave our students unique opportunities to delve into pressing issues in healthcare delivery, policy and governance. Participants in this year’s sessions are skilled veterans who work on the frontlines of Canadian healthcare:
- John Abbott, CEO, Council of Health of Canada
- Jean Bartowiak, president and CEO, Bruyère Continuing Care
- Rob Devitt, president and CEO, Toronto East General Hospital, and Telfer MHA CEO in Residence
- Dr. Pam Eisner, chief of staff, Bruyère Continuing Care
- Christopher Fisher, executive director of the family health team, University of Ottawa Health Services
- John King, executive vice-president and chief administrative officer, St. Michael’s Hospital
- Cynthia Kitson, nurse practitioner, Pinecrest Queensway Community Health Centre
- Gilles Lanteigne, president, Champlain Community Care Access Centre
- Donna Noakes, social worker, Rideau Family Health Team
- George Weber, CEO, Royal Ottawa Health Care Group
Exciting networking opportunities
- Jodie Harrison, investment advisor at BMO Nesbitt Burns Inc. and a Telfer alumnae, kicked-off the annual Leaders Reception on September 22, 2010. Ms. Harrison used this special occasion to entertain, enlighten and encourage more than 180 students, sharing with them her experiences and insights on the rich student life available to Telfer School students.
Andreas Souvaliotis, General Manager of Air Miles for Social Change, and Dean François Julien.
- Michel Bilodeau (president and CEO of the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario), Michèle Bourque (president and CEO of the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation) and Jean Laurin (president and CEO of The Schinnerer Group and ENCON Group Inc.) were the main attractions at the MBA Professional Development Series. Held on January 22, 2011, the event enabled these three successful leaders to share their insights into how managers can become more effective leaders.
- Sir Terry Matthews, founder and chairman of Wesley Clover, hosted the twentieth anniversary edition of the Toast to Success Business Dinner. Organized and sponsored by the Entrepreneurs’ Club, this prestigious event brought together some 200 students and local business leaders at the Westin Ottawa Hotel to enjoy a remarkable evening of delicious food, extensive networking and a captivating panel discussion, which in addition to Sir Terry, included Ed Ogonek (president and CEO of Bridgewater Systems), Peter Alan (president and CEO of Dragonwave), and Andrea Baptiste (president and CEO of BenBria).
Organizers and guest speakers of the Toast to Success Business Dinner (top L-R) Brennan Loh, Lisa Cousins, Jon Nadeau, Althamash Siddiqui, Alain Doucet (Bottom Row L-R) Sir Terry Matthews, Andrea Baptiste, Peter Alan and Ed Ogonek.