Telfer Workshop Initiative
As of September 2017, The Telfer School of Management is offering the Telfer Workshop Initiative. This program is meant to provide Grade 11 – 12 students, secondary 4 – 5 students, as well as Cegep students from the National Capital Region a glimpse into the various areas of business and professional development. Offered free of charge during the school year (October – June), this initiative is facilitated collaboratively between our Professors, our Bachelor of Commerce (BCom) students and alumni, our partners from industry, and our Student Services Centre. Programming is based on the availability of our collaborators.
Leadership Opportunity with Junior Achievement
The Telfer School of Management is pleased to partner with Junior Achievement under the Ottawa Network for Education to help engage and provide hands-on learning experiences for elementary and secondary school students.
The Junior Achievement program in Ottawa allows young students to learn financial literacy, entrepreneurship, and other business skills within their current curriculum. The program offers several workshops, and the Telfer School will be specifically engaged in leading the Business Basics workshop for grade 5 students in local schools.
In partnership with Junior Achievement, the Telfer School is looking for student representatives who wish to volunteer and assist with delivering the Business Basics workshop to grade 5 students. More specifically, you will:
- Deliver a one-day workshop in a local school on Business Basics which focuses on understanding how to run a small business
- Work in partnership with an industry professional
- Build awareness and promote entrepreneurship as a viable option for their future
There are several benefits to volunteering with Junior Achievement including:
- Enhancing your organizational, communication and leadership skills
- Connecting with industry professionals
- Developing your volunteer experience
- Receiving recognition through the University of Ottawa’s Co-curricular Record
- Changing the lives of young students in just a few hours!
Here’s how you can get involved!
Please fill out the online registration form found here: http://www.onfe-rope.ca/programs/junior-achievement/volunteer-registration-form
JA Business Basics (Grade 5): Introduces students to the fundamental concepts of business in a community and global context — likely their first exposure to these concepts. Students explore the many aspects of business through dynamic hands-on activities. Raise awareness of entrepreneurship as a potential career option. Plant the seeds.