A cover letter is an essential step in making an effective first impression with a potential employer, and should be given the time and effort it deserves.
A cover letter should:
- Showcase your writing and communication skills
- Be treated as a marketing tool
- Be tailored to each employer
How to Create a Cover Letter
Your cover letter should be on good quality, standard size (8 ½ x 11 business-size paper). If the cover letter is accompanied by a resumé, the same paper should be used throughout your application. Avoid using flashy colors, business stationary, or poor quality paper. To show professionalism, you should always use conservative fonts that can be easily read.
Each cover letter should be tailored to its recipient! The key is personalization. Employers see hundreds of cover letters; avoid using a mass-produced format such as a template.
- It should fit on a single page, and your signature should be clearly displayed at the bottom (if you are submitting a hard copy).
- The letter should usually be no more than five paragraphs of about three to five sentences each.
- Your cover letter must be concise and clear.
- It must be flawless!
Your cover letter should always include your name, mailing address, e-mail address, and phone number. This information should be clearly visible, making it easy for an employer to quickly contact you if necessary.
- Your first paragraph should begin with an introduction of yourself and should clearly state the reason for your application.
- The following paragraphs should include a statement of your interest in the position as well as a description of your qualifications or abilities, and your goals.
- Your final paragraph should include your future intentions and should also express your thanks.
Always proofread your work for spelling and punctuation errors. Have someone else proofread it as well to ensure professionalism and flow.
Cover Letter Examples - General
Cover Letter Examples - by Option/Specialization
- Accounting [PDF]
- Finance [PDF]
- Human Ressources [PDF]
- International Management [PDF]
- Management-Entrepreneurship [PDF]
- Marketing [PDF]
- MIS and E-Business [PDF]
Guidance from the Career Centre
There are various ways in which we can assist you with your cover letter:
- You can register for a Rock Your Resumé Workshop or a Resumé 101 Clinic by visiting our Calendar of Events.