What is Management Consulting?
Work done by a consulting firm with the intent of advising company executives on the best ways to manage and operate their business.
What is the Profession of Management Consulting Program (PMCP)?
The PMCP is a two-year development program for Telfer School of Management students interested in consulting.
An intensive selection process is undertaken to choose 12 Telfer students who are finishing the 2nd year of their Bachelor of Commerce program. These students will participate in weekly extracurricular workshops and case simulations facilitated by consulting professionals.
Key competencies developed include:
balancing priorities – adaptability – critical thinking – communication and presentation skills – interpersonal skills – selling skills – resourcefulness – thinking on your feet - resilience
You will also benefit from learning about and experiencing different types of case interviews, formats typically used in the consulting industry, as well as case simulations.
Who do I Contact
Why choose this program and what will it do for me?
Making it to the final rounds of consulting interviews and landing your dream job at the consulting company of your choice is not always an easy thing, because of the competition and the intensive interview process. However, consulting is a growing industry in which positions have been opening up for undergrads in the last few years. The Telfer PMCP is designed to give Telfer School students the additional preparation, knowledge and networking experience they need to compete for these positions.
You will be able to:
- take advantage of an introduction to and practice sessions on the five-phase consulting model;
- participate in workshops, case simulations and feedback sessions to deepen your experience and knowledge;
- expand your professional network in the consulting industry through networking opportunities with senior professionals delivering workshops and at networking events;
- develop skills required for success as a consultant;
- gain practical interview experience for the industry;
- receive customized mentorship from senior professionals working in the consulting industry;
- experience the culture within different consulting firms;
- find your fit in this industry.
Who do I Contact
Year 1 (3rd year students)
Year 2 (4th year students)
How do I become eligible for the Telfer PMCP?
The selection process to participate in the Telfer PMCP is competitive. You must meet the minimum requirements below and pass the essay portion of the process to be considered for an interview.
- have completed the first- and second-year common core courses for your program option*;
- have a CGPA of 6.0 or higher after your 4th term;
- be willing to dedicate an average of 5 hours per week to activities including, but not limited to, workshops, meetings, and email exchanges with mentors and professionals (there will be no time requirement during reading weeks, exam periods and holidays);
- be available on Thursday evenings from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.;
- be fluent in English (French will be considered an asset);
- have a willingness to learn and to be an ambassador of the Telfer School of Management;
- be a full-time student.
*If you are one or two courses away, we encourage you to apply.
When do I apply for the Program? What are the dates and deadlines?
Your application must include:
- A resumé
- Two 250 word essays answering the following questions:
- Why are you interested in this program?
- What are the three most common areas of focus in Management Consulting?
Please note that if you are selected, interviews will be held on April 5th and 6th.
Over 50 professionals per year engage with the PMCP students from the following companies:
- A.T. Kearney
- BDO Canada
- Canadian Association of Management Consultants (CMC-Canada)
- Facilitating Results
- Integrity Leadership Consulting
- RCGT (Raymond Chabot Grant Thornton)