Business Acumen for Project Leaders
This program is part of the Certificate in Complex Project & Procurement Leadership and may be taken as part of the certificate program or on a stand-alone basis. Please visit the main page for the Certificate in Complex Project & Procurement Leadership for more information.
The purpose of this three-day program is to provide project and program managers with an improved understanding of the context in which companies operate during the time when large procurement projects progress through the various stages including definition of requirements, options analysis, solicitation and implementation. The program attempts to take Government of Canada employees out of their day-to-day context and transpose them into the roles of business executives who grapple with decisions related to projects to improve their chances of a successful outcome. The program includes instructor-led presentations, invited speakers from industry as well as exercises and simulations that are designed to allow participants to develop the business acumen needed to form effective relationships with industry and to achieve successful project outcomes.
Cohort 5: February 12-14, 2018
Cohort 6: March 5-7, 2018
$2,400 + HST
3 consecutive days, 8:00am – 5:00pm.
How to Register
This Program is full - registration has now been closed.
Our payment & cancellation policy can be found HERE.
Who Should Attend
This program is designed for government officials with procurement responsibilities such as procurement project managers, bid evaluators, and requirements analysts and will also be of great interest to private sector companies who are suppliers to the federal government.
What You Will Learn
The program will provide participants with an understanding of business acumen as it applies to defence companies that supply equipment and services to the Canadian Department of National Defence. Participants will gain:
- a thorough understanding of the macro and micro environment in which defence companies operate
- a thorough understanding of what drives profitability
- an awareness of various financial ratios and metrics that are common in annual reports and financial analyses
- a market focused approach to the business of defence procurement
- an understanding of business practices and behaviours in trade agreements such as ITAR and industrial and technological benefits (ITB) requirements
The program will provide participants with:
- an overall big-picture understanding of the organization of defence companies and their inter-relationships, enabling better business decision-making
For more information
Telfer School of Management
Centre for Executive Leadership
99 Bank Street, Suite 200
Ottawa ON K1P 6B9