MBA Internship Overview
Many organizations want to improve processes, research new markets, or develop new products and services. Day-to-day operational requirements of the business, however, sometimes gets in the way of addressing these issues.
The MBA Internship is an opportunity for organizations to get novel perspectives, fresh ideas and high quality work from skilled and passionate MBA students.
MBA Student's Profile
Our highly motivated MBA students are eager to help your organization achieve its goals through a specific project.
Our MBA Students have a diverse range of professional and educational background. They have between 3 and 20 years of work experience in various fields including banking, information technology, government, management and engineering.
Their already well-developed skill set combined with MBA courses in statistics, marketing, accounting and other relevant topics ensure interns have a quality base of theory and technical skills to take on the challenging projects that will provide meaningful results for you.
Interns have access to the Telfer School of Management’s library, Bloomberg terminals, business analytics infrastructure, over 70 professors who are experts in various fields, and our soon to be created “Internet of Things” laboratory to help their hosts with research and analysis.
- An opportunity for organizations to get novel perspectives, fresh ideas and high quality work from skilled and passionate MBA students.
- Improved productivity and innovative practical solutions to organizational needs and challenges, by the use of skilled, motivated and knowledgeable talent.
- Opportunity for businesses to evaluate potential employees.
- Reduced costs of external contracting by utilizing MBA students.
- Qualified and experienced MBA students, willing to work on a specific project for 288 hours or more.
Examples of Internship Projects
- Business Processes Analysis and Improvement
- Market Analysis and Product Development
- Brand, Marketing, Digital or Media Strategy
- Business Plans
- Financial analysis, strategic assessment
- Organizational performance frameworks and analytics
Examples of Client Organizations
- Alterna Bank
- Bank & Vogue
- BodyFirst Systems
- CHUO FM89.1
- Faculty of Arts, University of Ottawa
- Government of Canada
- Miralaw Inc
- Pedal Easy
- Raven Telemetry
- RBR Global Ltd
- Safety Labs
- The Ottawa Hospital
The stipend paid to an intern ranges from $5000 to $7500, some interns are also available on an honorarium basis. The average hourly salary range is $20-25 per hour.
For some projects, funding support can be sought though Mitacs, or through the Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE) TalentEdge programs. Alternatively, hosts can elect to pay the intern directly. In some cases, students will accept an internship with no remuneration if the situation warrants.
Duration of Work
MBA interns can work on a part-time basis January through July or on a full-time basis, September through December. Workload is about 15-20 hours per week for a period of 6 months for part-time internships, and 40 hours per week for full-time internships
Significance: Project should be of importance to the company.
Content: Opportunity should call for research, analysis and recommendations, as well as a written report.
Focus/Scope: Opportunity must have a well-defined, manageable issue or problem. Therefore, the 6-credit internship should require a minimum of 288 hours of effort (note that in the case of Mitacs and OCE, the level of effort is expected to be approximately 480 hours).
Logistics: Projects that are out of town for example, are not possible for the part-time Jan-June internships as students have other courses simultaneously. Out of town internships are possible for the full-time fall internships.
Manager, Business Development and Student Experience
Tel.: 613-562- 5884