Telfer School of Management
55 Laurier Avenue East
Ottawa ON K1N 6N5
Tel: (613) 562-5884
Toll Free: 1-(800) 965-5512
Fax: (613) 562-5912
Executives in Residence:
Your Trusted Advisors
Spend four months in a dynamic healthcare setting. Work with officials to make and carry out crucial decisions. Complete valuable projects that help you advance your career goals. Experience the day-to-day life of an executive in the healthcare system. It’s all part of the Telfer MHA administrative residency—an exclusive feature of the Telfer MHA.
Taking place in your final academic session, your four-month residency gives you an extraordinary opportunity to work closely with top Canadian healthcare leaders and put into practice your business- and health-management knowledge and skills. Here’s how it works:
When you begin your studies, you will consult with select Telfer School faculty members and Executives in Residence. These highly experienced, well-connected professionals will help you clarify your career goals and residency objectives, and determine the residency placement that is best for you. A residency timeline is also available to help you anticipate key residency milestones.
A wealth of choices
We have partnered with more than 90 renowned healthcare organizations. These are local, provincial and national agencies that capture the vast range and variety of healthcare: research facilities; public, private and not-for-profit organizations; health ministries and regulatory and administrative offices; and large teaching hospitals, community hospitals, primary-care institutions and other community-based settings. Whatever your focus and career interest, the Telfer MHA has a partnership that will suit your needs.
Support from healthcare experts
When you’ve chosen your residency organization, you’ll be matched with a leading executive at this healthcare institution. Known as preceptors, these top executives not only supervise the administrative residencies of Telfer MHA students, they also serve as mentors, providing you with valuable professional and career advice during your residency and beyond.Put your education into action. Learn from leaders. Choose the Telfer MHA.
Find the Perfect Match
The Telfer MHA makes sure your administrative residency takes into account your personal needs and specific professional objectives. Our partners include more than 90 renowned healthcare organizations located throughout the National Capital Region and across Canada. We work with you to ensure you find your perfect match—whether it’s in the public, private or not-for-profit sector; whether it’s in a large urban hospital or a smaller healthcare facility; whether it’s in a local or provincial health agency or a national research facility.
Learn From the Best
To become the best you must learn from the best. We will ensure you work with a leading healthcare executive throughout your administrative residency. This top healthcare professional, known as a preceptor, will closely supervise your administrative residency to make sure you participate in stimulating projects, take part in important organizational decisions and forge enduring relationships with influential managers throughout your host organization.
At the same time, our preceptors are leaders in Canadian healthcare who have a vested interest in cultivating the next generation of healthcare leaders. Your preceptor will not only supervise your administrative residency, but also serve as your mentor, providing you with valuable advice, guidance and support during your residency and into your career.
Examples of organizations you could work with during your residency.
- Queensway-Carleton Hospital
- LHIN - Toronto Central
- Kingston General Hospital
- Service de santé des Sœurs de la Charité d'Ottawa
- Hôpital Montfort
- Renfrew Victoria Hospital
- The Ottawa Hospital
- Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO)
- Ottawa Health Research Institute (OHRI)
- Centre for Emergency Preparedness and Response
- Infectious Disease and Emergency Preparedness Branch
- Public Health Agency of Canada
- Credit Valley Hospital
- The Ottawa Hospital -Rehabilitation Centre
- Community Care Access Centre
- Royal Ottawa Health Care Group
- St. Michael's Hospital
- Vancouver Coastal Health
- Richmond Health Services
- Regina - Qu'Appelle Health Region
- Ministry of Health and Long Term Care
- Toronto East General Hospital
- The McGill University Health Center (MUHC)
- Canadian Council on Health Services Accreditation
- Pinecrest-Queensway Health and Community Services (PQHCS)
- The Ottawa Hospital - Civic Campus
- Canadian Council for Health Services Accreditation
- University of Ottawa Heart Institute
- Ministry of Health and Long Term Care
- The Ottawa Hospital - General Campus
- University Health Network
- Champlain LHIN
- Peterborough Regional Health Centre
- Ottawa Children’s Treatment Centre (OCTC)
- Canadian Blood Services
- City of Ottawa
Examples of preceptors
- Vice President, Corporate Services
- Deputy Minister
- Director Program Development/Senior Integration Consultant
- VP Planning
- President & CEO
- Vice President, Facilities Planning and Support Services
- Senior Vice President
- Vice President Rehabilitation, Mental Health, Geriatrics and Family Medicine
- Senior Director of Client Services
- CEO and Executive Vice President and Chief Administrative Officer
- CFO and VP Systems Development and Performances
- RRT, Director, Risk Management & Privacy Management
- Director & General CEO
- Executive V.P. and Chief Operating Officer
- Executive Director
- Vice President Facilities, Planning and Support Services
- Vice President, Clinical Services
- Vice President Medicine, Surgery and Critical Care
- Manager, Corporate Planning
- Vice-President, Quality Assurance & Regulatory Affairs
- Assistant Deputy Minister, Accountability and Performance Division
Your administrative residency may take place during a specific four-month period, but your preparation for it extends throughout the entire Telfer MHA. This timeline will help you anticipate key residency milestones, whichever program option you choose: Intensive or Professional.
|Residency Process Activities||Approximate Dates|
|1st Residency orientation||October|
|Individual consultations with Executives in Residence||ongoing|
|Preceptors’ Conference||end of October - early November|
|2nd Residency orientation||January|
|Residency interview and selection process||February-March|
|Residency acceptance and confirmation||April|
|3rd Residency orientation||May|
|Residency period begins||early September|
|Field Project identification deadline||mid September|
|Field Project presentations||mid December|
|Submission of final paper||late December|
|Residency period ends||late December|
Executives in Residence: Your Trusted Advisors
Executives in Residence: Your Trusted Advisors
Executives in Residence are an exclusive feature of the Telfer MHA. These professionals are distinguished retired healthcare leaders who possess expert knowledge, hard-won experience and close ties with healthcare organizations throughout Canada and around the world. They are uniquely positioned to help you clarify your career goals and determine the residency placement that’s best for you.
Our Executives in Residence include George Langill and Brian Malcolmson:
George Langill: a nationally renowned healthcare executive
George Langill is former chief executive officer of the Royal Ottawa Health Care Group. For more than 35 years, this Telfer MHA alumnus held leadership positions throughout the healthcare sector, served as director and advisor to numerous boards and associations, and worked as a consultant to a variety of healthcare organizations. Of note, he led Canada’s first major public-private partnership in healthcare and won a variety of awards, including being named this country’s outstanding healthcare administrator in 2003 by Canadian Healthcare Manager. In addition to his role as Telfer MHA preceptor, he coordinates the residency feature of the Telfer MHA along with courses in ethical management in government and managing human resources in healthcare.
Brian Malcolmson: a respected leader in community healthcare
Brian Malcolmson brings to the Master of Health Administration Program more than 30 years of management experience in the health care field, most recently as Associate Vice-President of Academic Affairs at Hôpital Montfort. His background also includes senior management in hospital administration (the former Riverside Hospital of Ottawa), private consulting in health and social service management (CGO Montréal), government health services administration (Ontario, Manitoba) and community health services planning (Orleans, Ottawa). As President of the 1,000 member University of Ottawa MHA Alumni Association, Brian recently initiated a partnership with the Canadian College of Health Service Executives for their health leadership development program. As MHA Executive in Residence, he seeks to collaborate similarly with professors by enhancing their links to the health care sector, and with students by guiding them through their studies and career deliberations.
- We are actively seeking new International Career mentors for the 2014-2015 academic year
- The Telfer School’s Executive MBA program represented at Startup Canada Day on the Hill
- George Langill named the Chair of the City of Ottawa’s Innovation Advisory Board
- Collaboration with German Fraunhofer Institute Enables Joint Exploration of Innovation Systems ...
- CGA-AGRC Concludes Year With Very Successful Public Lecture
- Telfer Students Shine in the Fall 2013 CGA Ontario Intopia Strategy Simulation