Telfer School of Management
55 Laurier Avenue East
Ottawa ON K1N 6N5
Tel: (613) 562-5884
Toll Free: 1-(800) 965-5512
Fax: (613) 562-5912
What We Offer
What We Offer
- What We Offer
Program Delivery Options
That Fit Your Needs
Go Beyond the
What We Offer
All Telfer MHA students quickly find meaningful, rewarding jobs after graduation. The reason behind their immediate career success is straightforward. The Telfer MHA:
- Provides our graduates with a solid grounding in key areas of business management
- Prepares them to tackle the challenges inherent in modern healthcare systems
- Enables them to apply the skills they have learned in academic training to a four-month administrative residency in one of more than 90 dynamic healthcare settings
Gain knowledge of key areas of business management
The Telfer MHA arms you with the knowledge and skills you need at the tactical level (setting budgets, managing teams, allocating resources) and the strategic level (setting direction, managing change, spurring innovation). All are vital aspects of work in the public and private sectors of healthcare.
Learn skills to tackle the distinctive challenges of modern healthcare
Healthcare is different from other industry sectors. The bottom line in this field is not based solely on profits and losses but primarily on the quality and safety of patient care and the success of health outcomes from preventative treatments to long-term care. The Telfer MHA equips you with the vital skills you need to take on the distinctive challenges of this unique field:
- Integrating health services
- Managing cost-effective delivery of quality health services
- Improving service accessibility and reducing wait times
- Mitigating the effects of professional shortages
- Driving innovation and change in health systems and strategies
- Leading teams of diverse health professionals in pursuit of your shared goal—improving the quality and safety of patient care
Get on-the-job training and real-world experience
The most distinctive feature of the Telfer MHA is the exclusive administrative residency. Taking place in your final academic session, your four-month residency gives you an extraordinary opportunity to put into practice your business- and health-management knowledge and skills.
Flexible program delivery options, advanced qualifications, unique learning opportunities
The Telfer MHA also enables you to:
- Choose from two flexible program delivery options tailored to fit your schedule
- Earn the advanced qualifications you need to carry out sophisticated research in health services and policies
- Experience learning opportunities that take you beyond the classroom
Seize the opportunity. Start your rewarding career right away. Choose the Telfer MHA.
Program Delivery Options That Fit Your Needs
Not all Telfer MHA students are the same. Most want to launch their careers in healthcare. Some require a graduate degree in health management to open the door to a rewarding career shift. While others possess clinical training as health professionals and wish to accelerate their career advancement or gain additional professional knowledge and skills to apply in their current positions. Whatever your career ambition, the Telfer MHA has a program delivery option for you.
This option is perfect for students who wish to quickly transition their careers to health management. As a full-time student, you will complete the program coursework in 12 months and then begin your four-month administrative residency, enabling you to hit the ground running in a health-management position in only 16 months. You will register for a combination of day, evening and intensive courses. Be prepared to devote 15 hours per week to classroom requirements and twice that time to individual and group work and study outside the classroom.
Working-professional part-time option
This option is the ideal choice for experienced working professionals who wish to enhance their skills quickly and thoroughly. As a part-time student, you will complete the program coursework and your four-month full-time administrative residency in only 28 months. Some courses will be delivered according to an intensive schedule and will be delivered as a combination of classes offered during a week day (day or evening), and weekend (day or evening) over a short period (one to three weeks). This will require that you free yourself up from work to attend class (the equivalent of around 11 days (full day or half day) over the program duration).
Be prepared to devote six to 12 hours per week to individual and group work and study outside the classroom.
After two sessions as a part-time student, you can opt to complete the program in 36 months.
Flexible course delivery
Students in the intensive option take their business classes on weekdays with the full-time Telfer MBA cohort. Working professionals in the part-time option take their business classes with the part-time Telfer MBA cohort during evenings.
Telfer MHA courses are delivered on evenings and as intensive courses. They also bring together both full- and part-time students, which creates a rich, stimulating learning environment for all. The intensive format includes weekdays and weekends spread throughout the year to minimize disruption at the workplace for working professionals. This delivery format enables students to focus on the study of specific topics, and the program administrators to invite high-profile guest speakers to engage students in in-depth discussions on pressing issues in health management.
Acquire Advanced Research Skills
Careful examination and analysis of systems, services and policies is a vital element of modern health management. Each year, Telfer MHA students are given the opportunity to earn a Graduate Diploma in Health Services and Policy Research simultaneously or following completion of the Telfer MHA. Both credentials will be awarded concurrently upon successful completion. This certification gives you the advanced qualifications required to carry out research in health services and policies—sophisticated research that can help policymakers develop safer, higher-quality, more accessible healthcare for Canadians.
Customize your graduate study
Take a look at the specific admission and degree requirements of the Graduate Diploma in Health Services and Policy Research, and the list of compulsory and elective courses to determine whether this specialized graduate diploma is right for you.
Go Beyond the Classroom
Academic life should involve much more than lectures, assignments and tests. That’s why the Telfer MHA provides you with a variety of distinctive learning opportunities that take you out of the classroom to connect with distinguished healthcare leaders, explore exciting research opportunities and build professional relationships that will last a lifetime:
- Executives in Residence help you clarify your career goals and determine the administrative residency that’s the best fit for you.
- Our Healthcare System Management Research Seminar Series enables you to tap into the expertise and experience of a variety of Telfer School faculty members and leading healthcare executives and researchers.
- Bear Pit Sessions put healthcare leaders in the hot seat and give you a unique opportunity to delve into pressing issues in healthcare delivery, policy and governance.
- The Telfer School’s CEO in Residence program gives you direct access to senior executives from a variety of organizations and fields related to health management.
- The Telfer School’s partnership with the Canadian College of Health Leaders (CCHL) enables you to network with some of the most successful healthcare executives in Canada at the Healthcare Leadership Development Series .
- Use your academic credits toward a designation as a Certified Health Executive and gain access to many high-quality professional-development programs and services.
- Bringing a Business History Perspective to Management
- Telfer Executive MBA Class in Silicon Valley: Student Blog
- Father Edgar Thivierge Speaker Series Event a Huge Success!
- Telfer Alumni in the 2013 OBJ Forty Under 40
- The "myTelfer.ca" Portal is Relaunched
- Telfer School Professors Present Their Research at European Accounting Association Congress in Paris