Telfer School of Management
55 Laurier Avenue East
Ottawa ON K1N 6N5
Tel: (613) 562-5884
Toll Free: 1-(800) 965-5512
Fax: (613) 562-5912
- Four-year bachelor’s (honours) degree in management (B.Com), health sciences, life sciences, medicine, nursing, computer science, economics, social sciences, engineering, mathematics or a related field, or its equivalent;
- Minimum B+ (75%) cumulative grade point average (CGPA);
6 credits of analysis courses at bachelor's level in quantitative and qualitative research methods, micro and macro economics, calculus, probability and statistics, linear algebra, and information technology;
Note: students lacking background in quantitative analysis may be asked to complete prerequisite course as a condition of admission.
- Achieve a competitive score in the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT). The GRE test also accepted;
- English proficiency;
- An interview with admission committee may be required.
International: February 1
Canada and U.S.A.: April 1
International candidates are recommended to verify with the Canadian Embassy in their country of the expected delays in obtaining the necessary student authorization in the event of an admission offer and plan accordingly.
Telfer MSc Program Checklist
In order for your admission’s file to be reviewed by the Telfer School of Management Admissions Committee the following tasks must be completed:
Complete the OUAC application form online, www.grad.uOttawa.ca/apply
- Pay online the $100 OUAC application fee (Do not send payment to Telfer Graduate Office)
- Provide an electronic copy of the Submission Summary of the application form (document provided after completing the payment) to the Telfer Graduate Office
Provide in a sealed envelope a recent official transcript from each university institution you attended
- If applicable, include official translations in English or French
- To accelerate the admission process an electronic copy of your transcript(s) can be temporarily accepted until we receive your official copies
- Provide official proof of degree(s)
- Transcripts from non-Canadian and non-American institutions must include the grading scale
- Candidates who completed their studies in China must ask the China Academic Degrees and Graduate Development Center to assess the authenticity of their degree(s) and transcript(s). For more details visit www.cdgdc.edu.cn
- Note: Transcripts from the University of Ottawa will be requested by our office
Provide an electronic copy of your curriculum vitae (resume)
- Please detail research or academic experience relating to your area of research interest and any pertinent volunteer work
Provide two confidential letters of recommendation
- These should be academic or research contacts
- You will be required to indicate on the application form, the name and email address of your referees
- Once your online application is received at the Telfer School of Management, your referees will be sent an email request to complete the online letter of recommendation. The information will then be automatically sent to the University of Ottawa
statement of research interest(s)
Provide an electronic copy of your
- 800 to 1000 words clearly specifying what research topic you are interested in, why are you interested in this topic, and how it is related to your career goals and/or past experience
Provide the official admission test scores (GRE or GMAT)
- Request that official GRE or GMAT test results be sent directly to the Telfer Graduate Office.
- The GMAT side ID for Telfer are 4BZ-76-44 (MSc in Management) and 4BZ-76-15 (MSc in Health Systems)
GRE department code is 4201
Note: The TAGE MAGE is only for those applying to a French Graduate Program
If applicable, provide your official language proficiency test scores (TOEFL, IELTS, CANTEST etc.)
- Request that your official test scores be sent directly to the Telfer Graduate Office
- The TOEFL department code is 02
The institution code is 0993
Note: Please provide only one copy per required document (electronic or paper)
Deadline: February 1st (International students) and April 1st (Canadian and American students)
Please email all electronic documents to the following address:
Please have all hard copy documents delivered to the following address:
55 Laurier Avenue East, Room 4160, Ottawa ON K1N 6N5 Canada
613-562-5884 - www.telfer.uOttawa.ca/msc
Any document not written in English or French must be accompanied by an official translation in English or French.
NB: The selection committee will not consider applications without all the required documents. Admission is offered on a full-time basis only. Students admitted to the Program are required to register full-time for at least three sessions.
GMAT & GRE
The MSc in Health Systems offered in English requires one of the two following Admission Tests:
Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT): a minimum overall score of the 50th percentile and at least the 45th percentile on each of the three individual components. The average score was 680 in 2010.
For more details about the GMAT ...
Graduate Record Examinations ® (GRE®): students should aim for at least the 50th percentile on each of the individual components
For more details about the GRE ...
N.B. The GMAT or the GRE is mandatory and will not be waived.
Candidates applying to the English MSc must submit ONE of the following to the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies to confirm their English proficiency (the test scores cannot be more than two years old as of September 1 of the year of potential entry into the program):
- Proof of completion within the last five years, of a previous degree program in an English language university (official confirmation from the institution may be required.)
- Proof of recent prolonged residence and exercise of a profession in an English speaking country (normally at least four years over the last six years)
- A score of at least 100 (Internet-based) or 250 (computer-based) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), with a score of at least 5 on the Test of Written English (TWE) and a score of at least 50 on the Test of Spoken English (TSE). The TOEFL is administered by Educational Testing Service, Box 899, Princeton, New Jersey, USA, 08540.
- A score of at least 7 in at least three of the four Academic International English Language Testing System (IELTS) tests (Reading, Listening, Writing, Speaking) and at least 6 in the fourth. The General Training IELTS test is not accepted. The IELTS is administered by the British Council: www.ielts.org
- A score of at least 14 on the CANTEST, administered by the University of Ottawa, with no individual test score below 4.0, along with a score of 4.5 on the oral component of the test.
- Candidates whose mother tongue is not French and who intend to study in French are advised to consult the French language description of the program for information on what proofs are accepted.
Recognition of Courses
Exemptions, Retained Credits and Advanced Standing
Students who have successfully completed compulsory credits or their equivalents prior to admission will be granted an exemption, that is, they will be permitted to replace those credits with elective credits in the program on the advice of their supervisor, provided the credits were completed with a grade of B or better no more than five years prior to admission to the MSc.The maximum number of credits for which an exemption can be granted is six. The general regulations of the FGPS, section B 2.7, apply for transfer of credits.
GMAT Prep Classes
The Telfer School of Management is pleased to announce that it has partnered with Kaplan to provide candidates with discounted GMAT prep classes and free GMAT practice tests. Telfer candidates are now eligible to receive 10% off the price of a Kaplan prep class and are provided with the full GMAT test day experience.
Each prep class includes 13 sessions with Kaplan GMAT’s top faculty featuring Flex Sessions, revised GMAT materials prepared for each exam and free make-up sessions—in person and through their video-based Lessons-on-Demand. It offers the most Integrated Reasoning preparation of any major GMAT prep provider, with a dedicated teaching session, a Lesson-on-Demand, and full-length, scored Integrated Reasoning sections in all 9 CATs. On top of this, you will receive over 160 hours of instruction and practice, including over 5,000 practice items and 9 full-length computer adaptive tests (CATs) in the format of the GMAT.
Kaplan encompasses three pillars in which it was founded on:
- Proven Leader in GMAT prep: More people get into business schools after taking a Kaplan prep class than any other prep course.
- Personalized Learning: Kaplan uses Smart Reports and Flex-Sessions to provide students with customized recommendations and added convenience.
- High Score Guarantee: Kaplan has the most comprehensive guarantee in the industry. – Satisfaction, Readiness, or your money back!
The following GMAT Classes are starting soon at University of Ottawa:
- GMOT13002 - January 12 – March 9, 2013 – Saturdays 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. (Desmarais Building)
- GMOT13001A – February 9 – April 6, 2013 – Saturdays 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Bringing a Business History Perspective to Management
- Telfer Executive MBA Class in Silicon Valley: Student Blog
- Father Edgar Thivierge Speaker Series Event a Huge Success!
- Telfer Alumni in the 2013 OBJ Forty Under 40
- The "myTelfer.ca" Portal is Relaunched
- Telfer School Professors Present Their Research at European Accounting Association Congress in Paris