Telfer School of Management
55 Laurier Avenue East
Ottawa ON K1N 6N5
Tel: (613) 562-5884
Toll Free: 1-(800) 965-5512
Fax: (613) 562-5912
- Four-year bachelor’s (honours) degree in management (B.Com), health sciences, life sciences, medicine, nursing, computer science, economics, social sciences, engineering, mathematics or a related field, or its equivalent;
- Minimum B+ (75%) cumulative grade point average (CGPA);
6 credits of analysis courses at bachelor's level in quantitative and qualitative research methods, micro and macro economics, calculus, probability and statistics, linear algebra, and information technology;
Note: students lacking background in quantitative analysis may be asked to complete prerequisite course as a condition of admission.
- Achieve a competitive score in the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT). The GRE test also accepted;
- English proficiency;
- An interview with admission committee may be required.
International: February 1
Canada and U.S.A.: April 1
International candidates are recommended to verify with the Canadian Embassy in their country of the expected delays in obtaining the necessary student authorization in the event of an admission offer and plan accordingly.
Telfer MSc Program Checklist
In order for your admission file to be reviewed by the Telfer School of Management Admissions Committee the following tasks must be completed:
Complete the OUAC application form online at www.grad.uOttawa.ca/apply
- Pay online the $100 OUAC application fee (do not send payment to Telfer Graduate Office)
- Provide an electronic copy of the Submission Summary of the application form (document provided after completing the payment)
Provide in a sealed envelope a recent official transcript from each university institution you attended
- If applicable, include official translations in English or French
- To accelerate the admission process an electronic copy of your transcripts can be temporarily accepted until we receive your official copies
- Provide official proof of degrees (if not indicated on the transcript)
- Transcripts from non-Canadian and non-American institutions must include the grading scale (often found at the bottom or back of the transcript. If not, you need to obtain it from your school)
- Candidates who completed their studies in China must ask the China Academic Degrees and Graduate Development Center to assess the authenticity of their degrees and transcripts. For more details, visit http://cqv.chinadegrees.cn/en/
Provide an electronic copy of your curriculum vitae (resume)
- Detail research or academic experience relating to your area of research interest and any pertinent volunteer work
Applicants must submit two recommendations via their online application
- Referees should be academic or research contacts
- Fill out the online application and enter referees’ contact
- Upon submission of your final application, an email will be sent to your referees with instruction for submitting the online recommendation
statement of research interest(s)
Provide an electronic copy of your
- 800 to 1000 words clearly specifying what research topic you are interested in, why are you interested in this topic, and how it is related to your career goals and/or past experience
Provide the official admission test scores (GMAT or GRE)
- Request that official GMAT or GRE test results be sent directly to the Telfer Graduate Office.
- The Telfer GMATdepartment code is 4BZ-76-15 (MSc in Health Systems)
- GRE department code is 4201
If applicable, provide your official language proficiency test scores (TOEFL, IELTS, CanTEST etc.)
- To be valid, the test must be less than two years old at the time of application
- Request that your official test scores be sent directly to the Telfer Graduate Office
- The TOEFL department code is 02
- The institution code is 0993
Deadline: February 1st (International students) and April 1st (Canadian and American students)
Please email all electronic documents to the following address:
Please have all hard copy documents delivered to the following address:
55 Laurier Avenue East, Room 4160, Ottawa ON K1N 6N5 Canada
613-562-5884 - www.telfer.uOttawa.ca/msc
Any document not written in English or French must be accompanied by an official translation in English or French.
NB: The selection committee will not consider applications without all the required documents. Admission is offered on a full-time basis only. Students admitted to the Program are required to register full-time for at least three sessions.
GMAT & GRE
The MSc in Health Systems offered in English requires one of the two following Admission Tests:
Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT): a minimum overall score of the 50th percentile and at least the 45th percentile on each of the three individual components. The average score was 680 in 2010.
For more details about the GMAT ...
Graduate Record Examinations ® (GRE®): students should aim for at least the 50th percentile on each of the individual components
For more details about the GRE ...
N.B. The GMAT or the GRE is mandatory and will not be waived.
Candidates applying to the English MSc must submit ONE of the following to the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies to confirm their English proficiency (the test scores cannot be more than two years old as of September 1 of the year of potential entry into the program):
- Proof of completion within the last five years, of a previous degree program in an English language university.
Proof of recent prolonged residence and exercise of a profession in an English speaking
country (normally at least four years over the last six years)
- A score of at least 100 (Internet-based) or 250 (computer-based) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- A score of at least 7 in at least three of the four Academic International English Language Testing System (IELTS) tests (Reading, Listening, Writing, Speaking) and at least 6 in the fourth. The General Training IELTS test is not accepted.
A score of at least 14 on the CANTEST, administered by the University of Ottawa, with
no individual test score below 4.0, along with a score of 4.5 on the oral component of the test.
- A score of at least 68 on the Pearson Test of English (Academic) (PTE Academic)
With respect to test scores, they cannot be more than two years old as of September 1 of the year of potential entry into the MSc.
Candidates whose mother tongue is not French and who intend to study in French are advised to consult the French language description of the program for information on what proofs are accepted.Considering the significant amount of research that is published in English, all candidates need the ability to read and understand written English. Candidates must include in their application evidence of having this knowledge.
Recognition of Courses
Exemptions, Retained Credits and Advanced Standing
Students who have successfully completed compulsory credits or their equivalents prior to admission will be granted an exemption, that is, they will be permitted to replace those credits with elective credits in the program on the advice of their supervisor, provided the credits were completed with a grade of B or better no more than five years prior to admission to the MSc.The maximum number of credits for which an exemption can be granted is six. The general regulations of the FGPS, section B 2.7, apply for transfer of credits.
GMAT Prep Classes
The Telfer School of Management has partnered with Kaplan to provide candidates with discounted GMAT prep classes and free GMAT practice tests. Telfer candidates are now eligible to receive 10% off the price of a Kaplan prep class and are provided with the full GMAT test day experience.
Each prep class includes 13 sessions with Kaplan GMAT’s top faculty featuring Flex Sessions, revised GMAT materials prepared for each exam and free make-up sessions—in person and through their video-based Lessons-on-Demand. It offers the most Integrated Reasoning preparation of any major GMAT prep provider, with a dedicated teaching session, a Lesson-on-Demand, and full-length, scored Integrated Reasoning sections in all 9 CATs. On top of this, you will receive over 160 hours of instruction and practice, including over 5,000 practice items and 9 full-length computer adaptive tests (CATs) in the format of the GMAT.
Kaplan encompasses three pillars in which it was founded on:
- Proven Leader in GMAT prep: More people get into business schools after taking a Kaplan prep class than any other prep course.
- Personalized Learning: Kaplan uses Smart Reports and Flex-Sessions to provide students with customized recommendations and added convenience.
- High Score Guarantee: Kaplan has the most comprehensive guarantee in the industry. – Satisfaction, Readiness, or your money back!
The following GMAT Classes are starting soon at the University of Ottawa:
- November 16, 2013 – Saturdays 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. (Desmarais Building)
- January 18, 2014 – Saturdays 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. (Desmarais Building)
- February 22, 2014 – Saturdays 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. (Desmarais Building)
- Gurprit Kindra Served as Expert Witness in Federal Court of Canada Ruling Concerning Brand ...
- Students Raise $130,000 on Kickstarter
- Students will be Representing Telfer at the Queen’s Entrepreneurs’ Competition
- Telfer Alumni Shine at the Best Ottawa Business Awards 2013
- We are actively seeking new International Career mentors for the 2014-2015 academic year
- The Telfer School’s Executive MBA program represented at Startup Canada Day on the Hill